Skip to main content

HMC Rewind: Marshall Jefferson





By Byron Burke

I was very fortunate to work closely with House Music Pioneer Marshall Jefferson and my former Ten City band members Byron Stingily and Herb Lawson from Chicago.



Marshall Jefferson was the creator of the legendary house music song called “Move Your Body”. Marshall was a former Post Office employee and decided to become a recording artist at the age of 35. He never had instruction on how to create music, but someone told him to purchase a Yamaha QX 1 music sequencer; Roland 707 drum machine; Roland JX 8P keyboard and a simple mixer that could be used to hear the music coming from the musical devices.

Mr. Jefferson spent countless hours teaching me how to use these electronic music devices and various troubleshooting techniques to use if I encounter any problems. One weekend in June of 1987, he allowed me to take all his equipment home. I was so excited, I locked myself in the room and tried out some song Ideas I had running around my head. That weekend I created the foundation “Ten City’s” biggest commercial hit called “That’s The Way Love Is”  and “Whatever Makes You Happy” that was later released in 1990 on Atlantic Records.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HMC Rewind: Abigail Adams / Moving Records

Abigail Adams Written by Kris Flowers As one of the prominent, iconic women in the Dance Music business, Abigail Adams’ critical role in the development of New Jersey’s Essex County-centered dance music industry continues to impress upon its new crop of DJ’s, remixers, producers, record labels and recording artists.    This former model, Bernardsville NJ born, raised in Summit NJ , earned a BA in Early Childhood Education from Boston College .   Abigail began her career in the Dance music arena via her DJ boyfriend, KB.   In the early 1980’s, they owned a custom roller skating store in East Orange, NJ, subsequently opening up a store in the famous, “B-Boy friendly” Roxy roller disco in NYC.     KB purchased a pair of Technics 1200 turntables and set them up in the East Orange store so he could practice DJing.    Customers would inquire about the music KB was spinning, and the ever inventive, “forward-thinking” Abigail made note of the customer’s inquiries and trekked to variou

HouseMusicChannel.com Presents Harmony by Byron Burke

http://www.housemusicchannel.com/shop

Byron Burke - Manna

Manna by Byron Burke  Music has always been my sanctuary, especially during difficult times. I was just recently diagnosed with smoldering multi-myeloma (bone marrow cancer) and this instrumental keeps me encouraged and lifts my spirit. I pray that it does the same for you as well. Tempo: 106 Date Released: July 7, 2017 Written by Byron Burke (BMI), Kelby Young (BMI) & Herb Lawson (ASCAP). Produced by Byron Burke. Drum Programming by Kelby Young Bass by Herb Lawson Keyboards & additional drum programming by Byron Burke. Mixed & Recorded by Byron Burke https://byronburke.bandcamp.com/track/manna